You might not notice you are dehydrated until it’s too late, as swimmers can face dehydration before they feel thirsty. Kids get absorbed in play, and cool water masks the signs of dehydration until suddenly it’s serious. If your family spends significant time by the pool, consider these simple, refreshing drinks that taste like a treat and keep you hydrated.
Water is what you need most, but when you spend all day swimming in water, you likely want to taste something a little different. The temptation is to reach for sugary sodas, but fruit-infused water offers flavor without all the sugar. Here are some options to wet your whistle:
- Strawberry Mint Water. Slice six to eight strawberries. Combine with one cup of mint leaves, 40 ounces of purified water, and ice.
- Watermelon Basil Water. Cut two slices of watermelon in thirds or quarters. Crush a small handful of basil. Combine both ingredients in a pitcher with ice, and fill it up with cold filtered water.
- Blueberry Orange Water. Cut two mandarin oranges into wedges and place in a pitcher. Add a handful of muddled blueberries and six cups of water. Allow to sit overnight. Serve over ice.
- Mojito Water. Skip the alcohol to avoid dehydration, but get all the great flavor. Crush eight mint leaves. Slice one lime. Let it sit in your fridge with four cups of water until you’re ready to enjoy.
Other Summer Favorites
Some of your favorite drinks taste even better around the pool. If you’re trying the ones listed here, you might want to double the recipe so you have enough of these crowd-pleasing drinks to go around.
- Tangerine Raspberry Iced Tea. Steep five tangerine herbal tea bags and four raspberry herbal tea bags in six cups of water for 30 minutes. Fill a pitcher halfway with ice. Add one cup of pomegranate juice. Pour in tea. Sweeten as desired.
- Iced Coffee. Combine six ounces of coarse ground coffee beans with six cups of cold water. Allow your ingredients to sit overnight. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Add milk and sweetener of choice. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to drink it. Serve over ice.
- Watermelon Lemonade. Stir together one cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice, two cups pureed watermelon, one-half cup simple syrup, and two cups of cold water. Chill and enjoy.
Ambassador Pools has friendly professionals ready to help with all your pool needs. Contact us today to find out more.